Monday, September 3, 2018

A Great Start to the Year!

We have had a great start to the school year!  I have so enjoyed learning about each of the students that God has blessed me with this school year! Here's a glimpse at our first 7 days:

We started our first day by reading the book First Day Jitters by Julie Denneberg. It's a great book to read at the start of the year and has a great surprise ending -- A fun way to start the school year and a nice way for us to create community by showing that we all get nervous sometimes -- even teachers! Of course, no reading of First Day Jitters would be complete without sharing my secret recipe for Jitter Juice!  As hard as the students tried, they just could not get the secret ingredient out of me! They had so much fun and loved making their own secret recipes.
Our individual Jitter Juice recipes were a matter of great secrecy!      
This great resource can be found by clicking here.

Thursday and Friday of our first week was spent sharing items with our classmates that told a little bit more about us was a lot of fun.  Each child was asked to bring in 3 items that told us a little more about themselves.  I appreciated this activity because I really didn't know any of the students at all! I would have had more pictures, but I left my phone at home on the second day of sharing!😬 Sorry!


The second week, we spent time reading the book Freckle Juice by Judy Blume.  This book is always a hit with my second graders. First, it's a chapter book - That's so important in 2nd grade! Second, it's a great lesson about being happy with how God uniquely created each of us! It's one of my favorite books to read with my students each year.

This week has our own set of firsts -- First spelling test, first week using Spelling City, first week with our reading books, and first Math test of the school year! I better get to finishing my planning!

I pray that you have had a chance to relax and spend time with family over this long Labor Day weekend!

In Christ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment